Chinese and Australian Baptist Church - Thornleigh
Personal Information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Sensitive Information means:
1. information or an opinion about an individual’s:
(i) racial or ethnic origin; or
(ii) political opinions; or
(iii) membership of a political association; or
(iv) religious beliefs or affiliations; or
(v) philosophical beliefs; or
(vi) membership of a professional or trade association; or
(vii) membership of a trade union; or
(viii) sexual orientation or practices; or
(ix) criminal record;
that is also personal information; or
2. health information about an individual; or
3. genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information
Information that we collect from you and hold about you
We collect and hold personal information such as:
- Phone number
- Position held at church
Also, we collect personal information about your interactions with us for example, when you make a purchase from us, when you attend our events and when you phone us and this information is held in our database, registrations form files and attendance lists.
Purpose of collection, holding, use and disclosure of personal information
The purpose of collection, holding, use and disclosure of the personal information is to fulfil the ministry and administrative functions of the Association. This may include things such as:
- to contact you;
- to comply with legal obligations;
- to help process your insurance claim;
- to produce the church directory (which details name, address and contact details of those who attend our church for circulation within the Church;
- to sign you up to our newsletters and invite you to our events that may be of interest and relevance to you; or
- to involve you in church activities or ministries as a volunteer.
Who may we disclose your information to?
We may disclose your personal information to the following groups:
- anyone you authorise us; or
- anyone to whom we are required to by law.
We will only use or disclose sensitive information for the purpose for which we collected it or for a directly related secondary purpose, unless you give your consent to another use or we are required or permitted by law to use or disclose the sensitive information.
How to access your individual information
Your individual information can be accessed by contacting the Secretary by writing to:
235 Pennant Hills Road
Thornleigh NSW 2125
P: (02) 9868 9200
Also, if you believe that a correction is required, please contact us.
Complaints about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles
Any complaints in relation to the breach of the Australia Privacy Principles can be made to the Privacy Officer by writing to:
PO Box 122
Epping NSW 1710
P: (02) 9868 9200
We will keep you updated on the progress of correcting the breach. The Association will investigate the complaint and will notify the individual of its decision and any action taken as soon as possible.
How we keep your information secure
Information is kept in our database or filed as forms. These are kept in secure premises. All file and papers containing private information are disposed of securely. Also, all our staff are trained on a regular basis to ensure that they comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act.